For those days when the weather makes it too miserable to play outside, here are a few activities and resources to keep in mind — they just may save your sanity! (Some of the the ideas in Day Trips may also work for you…)
Web Sites to Check for Event Listings
- Our Kids – weekly subscription to receive email updates for what is going on in the DC Metro area for the following weekend and weekdays. $26 per year for a subscription.
- Check out your local Patch.com connection.
- Family Magazine calendar
Dulles Town Center
- Dulles Express train rides inside the mall. They move the depot depending on the season but generally it is at Sears or in the Center Court.
- Island Carousel – located in the upper level food court, rides are $1.50 per person.
- They also have a free kids’ play area in the upper level food court for young childen.
Bowling for Kids
- AMF Bowling’s “Summer Unplugged” program lets kids 15 and under bowl for free (shoe rental not included). Four adults (16 and up) can bowl two free games per day all summer for just $29.95. Shoes not included. See site for details and locations.
- BowlAmerica in Chantilly and on Dranesville Rd. both have kid-friendly bowling with bumpers, lighter balls, and ramps for the balls. Also, if your kid got good grades, have them bring in a report card to cash in on a free game as part of the Rolling Rewards program.
Let Them Bounce Their Energy Out!
House of Bounce The kids bounce, you get to sit on a sofa sipping your coffee while they wear themselves out! The coffee area is in the midst of the bouncy area, so you are in full view of the kiddos, but still get to sit and relax and maybe even read a magazine! Pay as you go our buy a bounce pass (check your Entertainment Guide for a coupon!) Check their calendar for “Open Bounce” times. Directions (Manassas, VA)can be tricky, so see their site for particulars.
Pump It Up! Two rooms of gigantic bouncy inflatables! I’ve only been to the Manassas location, but I’d say it is similar to House of Bounce but no coffee lounge for the parents. See site for details about Parent’s Night Out, Princess Pop-In Playtime and Pop-In Playtime. 10110 Battleview Parkway Suite 110 Manassas, VA 20109 (703) 749-8006 http://www.pumpitupparty.com/va/manassas/home-p1q138.htm or in Leesburg at 73 Lawson Road SE Leesburg, VA 20175 Phone: (703) 443-1400 http://www.pumpitupparty.com/va/leesburg/home-p1q100032.htm
Sport Bounce of Loudoun — I have not been here, but friends have, so you may want to check it out
Jumping Jack Sports in Ashburn is a fun place to go! More than just inflatables, they have oversized balls, ride-on toys, climbing walls, and a wall-whacking game that kids (and certain moms) enjoyed at a recent birthday party I went to!
Indoor Pools – check your local rec center for availability or visit these:
- Claude Moore Recreation Center Leisure/Water Park Pool
- Cub Run Rec Center
- Oak Mar Rec Center – visit web site for open water hours
Loudoun Heritage Farm Museum at Claude Moore Park, 21668 Heritage Farm Lane, Sterling, Virginia, 571-258-3800. See web site for more information.
Places to Miniature Golf in Virginia Algonkian Regional Park, Broad Run Mini Golf, Bull Run Regional Park, Burke Lake Park Mini Golf, Cameron Run Regional Park, Dulles Golf Center & Sports park, Fountainhead Regional Park, Jefferson Falls Mini Golf, Locust Shade Park Mini Golf, Oak Marr Mini Golf, Pohick Bay regional Park, Upton Hill Regional Park, Woody’s Golf Range, Lucky Duck Miniature Golf Course in Lake Accotink Park More details at: http://www.our-kids.com/public/t/?f=1&s=101&t=201
Reston Town Center Ice Rink Visit http://www.restontowncenter.com/pavilion.html for all the details about the Reston Town Center Ice Rink. From late October through the second week in March the Pavilion is 703-709-6300.