Websites to check for listings
- www.Our-kids.com – weekly subscription to receive email updates every Tuesday for what is going on in the DC Metro area for the following weekend and weekdays. $26 per year for a subscription.
- Loudoun Extra http://loudounextra.washingtonpost.com/events/
- Fairfax Extra http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/print/community/fairfax/index.html
- Family Magazine calendar http://www.washingtonfamily.com/events.php
Dulles Town Center
- Dulles Express train rides inside the mall. Board at the Sears wing (although this has been known to change). Hours of Operation:
Monday – Saturday: 10:00am – 7:00pm Sunday: 12 Noon – 5:00pm Ticket Pricing: I think this has gone up since my last visit, so I won’t quote a price.
- Carousel Island Carousel – located in the upper level food court, rides are $1.50 per person.
- They also have a free kids’ play area in the upper level food court for young childen.
Bowling for Kids
- AMF Bowling has Fall kids’ bowling clubs and leagues.
- BowlAmerica in Chantilly and on Dranesville Rd. both have kids bowling with bumpers, lighter balls, and ramps for the balls. Also, if your kid got good grades, have them bring in a report card to cash in on a free game as part of the Rolling Rewards program.
At Play Cafe Part indoor play area, part cafe. The ingenious part is they have people watching the kids in the play area (you are still right there, able to see your child) while you can sit in the cafe and access their wifi connection. They also have art and movement classes. For small children, not the really big kids. They also have a drop-off child-watching service (up to three hours).
2254B Hunters Woods Plaza Reston, VA 20191 ph: 703-391-6131 See their site for various pay-as-you go or pass pricing options. http://www.atplaycafe.com/
Let Them Bounce Their Energy Out!
House of Bounce The kids bounce, you get to sit on a sofa sipping your coffee while they wear themselves out! The coffee area is in the midst of the bouncy area, so you are in full view of the kiddos, but still get to sit and relax and maybe even read a magazine! Pay as you go our buy a bounce pass (check your Entertainment Guide for a coupon!) Check their calendar for “Open Bounce” times.
Pump It Up! Two rooms of gigantic bouncy inflatables! I’ve only been to the Manassas location, but I’d say it is similar to House of Bounce but no coffee lounge for the parents. See site for details about Parent’s Night Out, Princess Pop-In Playtime and Pop-In Playtime. 10110 Battleview Parkway Suite 110 Manassas, VA 20109 (703) 749-8006 http://www.pumpitupparty.com/va/manassas/home-p1q138.htm or in Leesburg at 73 Lawson Road SE Leesburg, VA 20175 Phone: (703) 443-1400 http://www.pumpitupparty.com/va/leesburg/home-p1q100032.htm
Sport Bounce of Loudoun — I have not been here, but friends have, so you may want to check it out
Indoor Pools – check your local rec center for availability or visit these:
- Claude Moore Park: Leisure/Water Park Pool, Monday-Friday 9:00am – 8:45pm, Saturday & Sunday, 11:00am – 7:45pm 571-258-3600
- Cub Run Rec Center
- Oak Mar Rec Center – visit website for open water hours.
Loudoun Heritage Farm Museum at Claude Moore Park, 21668 Heritage Farm Lane, Sterling, Virginia, Hours of operation: Tue-Sat: 10-5pm, Sunday: 12-5pm, 571-258-3800. See web site for more information.
Nature Center in Broadlands – Ashburn, VA is very kid-friendly and also has inexpensive take-home craft kits for sale. See my Local Parks page for more nature centers.
Places to Miniature Golf in Virginia Algonkian Regional Park, Broad Run Mini Golf, Bull Run Regional Park, Burke Lake Park Mini Golf, Cameron Run Regional Park, Dulles Golf Center & Sports park, Fountainhead Regional Park, Jefferson Falls Mini Golf, Locust Shade Park Mini Golf, Oak Marr Mini Golf, Pohick Bay regional Park, Upton Hill Regional Park, Woody’s Golf Range, Lucky Duck Miniature Golf Course in Lake Accotink Park More details at: http://www.our-kids.com/public/t/?f=1&s=101&t=201
Reston Town Center Ice Rink Visit http://www.restontowncenter.com/pavilion.html for all the details about the Reston Town Center Ice Rink. From late October through the second week in March the Pavilion is 703-709-6300 (seasonally from late October through the second week in March).