Children’s Consignment Sales:
One thing I love about Fall is Consignment Sale Season! When I bought my firstborn a toy for $28 and saw the exact same toy in mint condition at a garage sale for $4, it didn’t take me long to realize that it only made sense to buy used when possible and pocket the difference for more important things. Besides — it’s a great form of recycling! Below are just a smattering of some of the sales in the area — a great list is at http://www.our-kids.com/public/t/?f=5&s=129&t=281. If you’d like to see your sale listed here, just let me know! Most of these sales also have a Spring sale!
- October 1-3: Pender United Methodist Church Flea Market and Boutique. 8am-8pm Thursday and Friday, 8am-noon Saturday. Pender UMC 12401 Alder Woods Drive, Fairfax, VA. Fall and winter clothing for women, men and children; toys, tools, household items, appliances, computer gear, furniture, books, CDs; burgers and drinks available for lunch. All proceeds will benefit Missions and local outreach. www.penderumc.org NOTE: THIS IS NOT A CONSIGNMENT SALE, but you can donate things for the church to sell — proceeds support the mission and outreach efforts of the church. There is the flea market part of the site where prices are VERY low (i.e. toys for a quarter or clothes for a few dollars per bag) and then the more upscale “boutique” part of the sale with higher end items and higher-but-still-bargains prices.
- October 3rd: My Child’s Closet, 9am to noon, half price sale 1pm – 3pm, The Community Church in Ashburn 19790 Ashburn Road, Ashburn, VA. Jam-packed with clothing, toys, books, videos, toys, baby gear, nursery items, strollers, children’s furniture and more! www.mychildscloset.com JavaMom says: I have volunteered and consigned for this sale for several seasons now. I always find very nice clothes (my problem is sticking to my budget at this sale), great toys, and I always end up coming home with something that wasn’t on my list — something unusual that I didn’t know existed and just HAD to have! As a consignor, this is a very organized sale to participate in, and I really enjoy working with the owners. If you like Gymboree and other name brands, you will find them here.
- October 3rd: Christ Church Children’s Consignment Sale, 8am to 1pm, 8285 Glen Eagles Lane, Fairfax Station. HUGE sale with 250+ consignors. Items for sale include quality clothing, shoes, toys, games, infant items, DVD’s, videos and much more! Some items 1/2 off from noon to 1pm. Cash, checks or credit cards accepted. Due to space limitations, no personal strollers allowed in building during the sale. For more information visit www.christchurchva.org or call 703.690.3401. JavaMom says: I have only shopped, never consigned/volunteered for this sale. This sale is HUGE. Overwhelmingly so. Go through things carefully — I find the quality control varies a little more on the clothing here than at some sales. There is so much to choose from, lots of EVERYTHING! If there is something you really want, don’t count on it still being there at the half-price sale, buy it when you see it.
- October 10th: Catholic Consignments, 8am to noon, half-price 12:30 – 2pm, NEW LOCATION Belmont Ridge Middle School, 19045 Upper Belmont Place, Leesburg, V 20176 Half-price from 12:30 to 2pm. Gently used children’s items from infant to young teen, toys, baby & child equipment, baby & child furniture, children’s books, games, videos, and maternity and nursing clothing. www.catholicconsignments.org JavaMom says: I have volunteered and consigned for this sale for several seasons now. As a consignor, I love this sale b/c I usually sell a good bit although the last sale the racks were a bit crowded on the sizes I had (good for buyers!) You will find a lot of name brands at this sale, and a lot of bargains. A lot of toys as well. And a big room of “large items” (cribs, strollers, etc.) This is an especially good sale for buying and selling shoes — they display their shoes the best of any sale.
- October 10th & 11th: Dani’s Duds, 9am to 5pm, Dulles Expo Center in Chantilly, VA. Toys, books, videos, CDs, software, coats, clothing, furniture, anything and everything for your babies, infants, toddlers, all children 12 and under. Consignors’ sale on 10/9, Volunteers’ sale 10/8. www.danisduds.com JavaMom says: Dani’s Duds is large and long-established. As a consignor, the percentage you get is lower than most of the other sales, but because there are four days of sales (two private sales, then two days of open to the public sales), your merchandise has more exposure to buyers than at other sales. If you have a really large item (think: exersaucer, stroller, Pack N Play…) it will most likely be gone by the end of the sale. There are sooooo many clothes that it’s harder for your clothes to be the ones to be sold. For buyers, Dani’s Duds makes you feel like the proverbial kid in a candy store. You can tell who is new because they walk ten feet in and just come to a dead stop as their eyes grow wide. If you consign or volunteer, you get to shop a day or two before the public!
- October 10th: Spring-Mar Cooperative Preschool 8am-1pm 10125 Lakehaven Court, Burke VA 22015 http://www.spring-mar.org/ Submitted by my friend Sherry: I have shopped and volunteered at a few previous sales and have found some great bargains.
- October 18th: Christian Fellowship Church MOPS Consignment Sale, Sanders Corner Elementary 43100 Ashburn Farm Parkway, Ashburn, VA, 9am to 12:30pm; half-price sale from 1 to 2pm. Don’t pay retail – shop at the MOPS sale to get fabulous deals on gently used clothes from infant to size 10, toys, books, baby furniture and equipment. www.cfcmops.com I have shopped this before, but I can’t think of key tips to give you — it’s generally the last sale of the season (of the ones I go to) so I like going when I can make it!
- October 21st to 25th: Classy Kids Consignment Fall Sale, Prince William County Fairgrounds, located at 10624 Dumfries Rd, Manassas VA, located in the Commercial Building. NO STROLLERS WITH BASKETS ALLOWED. Gently used children’s clothes, toys, books, videos, children’s furniture, maternity items, baby equipment, outdoor play equipment, shoes, etc. www.ClassyKidsConsignment.com. JavaMom says: I have yet to make it to this sale, but I hear about it every year and included it because I hear people talk about it. Let me know what you think about it!
- November 7th: Children’s Flea Market 11 am – 1 pm 2008 McLean Community Center 1234 Ingleside Ave. McLean, VA 22101 703-790-0123 http://mcleancenter.org/ Kids, sign up now to sell your old toys, games and other items. Buy cool books, games, toys, and clothes at great prices. Registration fee includes the use of an 8’ x 3’ table and a 7’ x 8’ booth space. The sale will be advertised in the Washington Post’s classifieds. Patron admission is free. Questions? Contact Michael Fisher at email@example.com
To sell: $55 per booth/$45 McLean district residents; advance booth registration required.
And when the consignment sales are over….Wiggle Room Consignment Store features children’s and maternity consignment; new merchandise including Ergo Baby Carriers, Melissa & Doug toys, European infant-toddler sleep sacks, organic clothing by Dilly Dally and barley & birch, SmartMom Teething Bling and more! We love eco-friendly companies, local designers and mom-owned businesses! Open Tues – Sat 10-5; Sunday 12-5 4914 Del Ray Ave, Bethesda (public garage across the street!) 301.656.5995 www.WiggleRoom.biz