Pumpkin Patches, Farms and Corn Mazes:
There are TONS of these in the area! Here is just a partial listing:
- Fall Festival and Pumpkin Playground October 1 to October 31; 9am to 9pm daily, weekend activities 10am to 5pm. Burke Nursery & Garden Centre 9401 Burke Road, Burke, 703.323.1188 http://www.pumpkinplayground.com/. Weekdays: $9; Weekends/Holidays: $12 (under 2: free). Additional fees for various activities, refreshments for sale. Each paid admission receives a small carvable pumpkin and hayride. Pumpkin fort, ghost tunnel slide, Pirate’s ship, Western Town, Money Mountain, Teepee, Cherokee storyteller and singer, hayrides, farm animals, inflatable children’s playgrounds, rope swing, tumbling tubes, pirate ship and camp, Wizard of Oz slide, Miner’s Mountain Slide, and merry-go-round. On weekends, all of the above plus caterpillar tunnel, pumpkin balloon house, clown and magic tricks, and Native American presentation. Additional fees for pony rides, moon bounce, wobble wagon, and balloon animals.
- Cows-N-Corn Fridays: 6 to 9pm; Saturdays: 10am to 9pm; Sunday: noon to 7pm. 5225 Catlett Road, Midland, VA 540.439.4806 $9/person, children 3 and under – free. Corn maze, pumpkins, narrated hayride tour of the Dairy farm, straw pit, straw tunnels, “cow croquet,” pedal karts, refreshments, and picnic and play area in October. Weekday group tours by appointment. http://www.cows-n-corn.com/ Look at the photos of the mazes of the past: http://www.cows-n-corn.com/Corn%20Maze.htm
- Cox Farms Fall Festival September 19 to November 7; 10am to 6pm daily, 10am – 5pm in Nov.
- 15621 Braddock Road, Centreville, 703.830.4121 Weekdays: $9; Weekends & Columbus Day: $15; under 2: free. Arrive after 12pm on weekdays for Afternoon Delights http://www.coxfarms.com/Default.aspx?p=76 . Join their Members List and get free passes to Opening Weekend and other special offers. http://www.coxfarms.com/Default.aspx?p=118 Admission includes 5 giant slides, farm animals, rope swings, tunnels, live entertainment, fairytale castle slide, treetops slide, pumpkin patch, cider, apples and more. Pizza, hot dogs, apples, cider, homemade pies, fruit jams and honey, fall produce, and pumpkins for sale.
- Great Country Farms Now to November 8, 2008; 9am to 5pm 18780 Foggy Bottom Road, Bluemont, 540.554.2073 Things are always changing at this farm and they have many special weekend festivals, so check their web site before you go to see what is going on and what the admission will be for that particular day. They have u-pick, farm animals, a cow-train, slides, mazes, a huge jumping pillow (like a bouncie house, with no roof), swings, a corn pit, laser tag, a gem sluice, mini golf, and so much more. Pumpkin Glow Night is Oct. 29 and 30 (1500 lit jack-o-lanterns) from 6-9pm — local schools help carve the pumpkins for the event and it’s really neat to see. Join in a marshmallow roast as well. Pumpkin Chunkin’ is Nov. 1-8 and I must say that chunkin our pumpkins was hysterically fun! You can push them on the zip line until they smash onto a pole, you can drop them from a tower, and of course you get to enjoy all the farm fun one last time! Visit the website for details: http://www.greatcountryfarms.com/ and http://www.greatcountryfarms.com/index.php/annual-events/fall-harvest-festival.html
- Hartland Orchard call 540.364.2316 for conditions. Belle Mead Road, Markham, VA 540.364.2316 Updated since last year: There is a corn maze/activity area and hayrides as well as many other activities — see web site for details and times.
- Heather Hill Gardens A pumpkin Fort, slide, petting zoo, tumble tube, penny paradise, and more see web site for details. http://www.heatherhillgardens.com/index.htm
- High Hill Farms 933 Barley Lane, Winchester, VA 540.667.7377 http://www.thepumpkin-patch.com/ Theyhave a corn maze, a pumpkin patch, and some terrific pies! Check web site for hours and details.
- Hollin Farms 1524 Snowden Road, Delaplane, VA 540.592.3574 http://www.hollinfarms.com/pages/pumpkins.html Over 5 acres of pumpkins, corn stalks, cut-your-own flowers, corn maze and more. Hollins Farms also sells free-range beef and pork.
- Krop’s Crops 11110 Georgetown Pike, Great Falls, 703.430.8955. Hayrides to pumpkin patch ($3), 3 years old and younger are free. Apples, gourds, fall mums, corn stalks, straw bales, apple cider, jellies, and baskets. Campfire parties for the evening (reservations required).
- Larriland Farm Weekdays: 9am to 5pm; Weekends: 9am to 6pm. 2415 Rt. 94/Woodbine Road, Woodbine, 301.854.6110. Free, small cost for various activities. Visit website for more details http://www.pickyourown.com/ Pick-your-own pumpkins (October) and apples (September to October), Hayrides (weekends in October), evening hayrides (for organized groups), Boo Barn and The Straw Maze. Check web site for details.
- Leesburg Animal Park Pumpkinville September 26 to November 7. 19270 James Monroe Highway, Leesburg, 703.779.2332 Visit website for coupons. Hayride to pumpkin patch, hayride, all you can drink cider and apples, and access to 3-acre farm play area. Attractions in the past have included Indian tepee, spooky pirate ship, giant hill slides, a hay maze, unlimited hayrides, straw mountains, tote maze, rope swings, tractors to climb on, moon bounce, large inflated fire truck slide, and much more. Face painting, pumpkin decorating, live music, all-you-can-eat popcorn, mini-tractor rides, and popular children’s entertainers (puppeteers, magicians, clowns, jugglers, music), on weekends. Includes entrance into Leesburg Animal Park. Pony rides and food for animals also available for an additional charge.
- Stribling Orchard 9am to 5pm; Tuesday through Sunday – open on holiday Mondays. Route 688, Markham, VA 540.364.3040 Free admission. Pick-your-own apples and picnicking. Apple cider, jellies and jams, fresh breads and baked goods, honey, baskets, apple butter, handmade crafts and more at the Apple House. Historic buildings and scenic views (12 miles from Skyline Drive). Call to see which varieties of apples are available for picking.
- Temple Hall Farm Regional Park weekends and holidays now to November 7; 15770 Temple Hall Lane, Leesburg, 703.779.9372 24-acre cornfield maze – claiming to be the biggest ever! On weekends past attractions have inlcuded pumpkin picking, hayrides, farm animals, corn canon, water wars, ride on cow train, cow belly bounce, and giant slide. Bring flashlights after dark. No pets. Fees vary by daytime or night time, fees for different activities, see site for fees.
- Virginia Farm Market 1881 N. Frederick Pike (Route 522 N), Winchester, 540.665.8000. No website, so please call to verify details. A wonderful retail farm market. Pumpkin Land with storybook characters, fact boards, and photo area (October). Fresh-picked apples, farm market with fresh baked pies, preserves and jelly, country hams, jug-your-own fresh-squeezed cider, picnic area.
Check out the Our Kids website for a listing of farms where you can pick your own produce.
If I didn’t give you enough to choose from, here are more pumpkin patches.