After cleaning up from the hack attack and really ensuring things were scrubbed down, I took a bit of a digital break from everything — blogging, Facebook, etc. But nothing is more wonderful to come back online for like a community-giving campaign, so I’m pleased to jump online to be a part of the United Way of the Nation Capital Area’s DoMorefor24 community giving campaign.
Here’s the idea, as a community, we can pitch in and “Give Where We Live.” One 24-hour blitz of community giving to organizations who make a difference right here. I love it! When I was asked if I’d like to help by hosting a donation site, that part was a no-brainer.
The United Way of the Nation’s Capital Area has offered to match dollar-for-dollar the first $500 we raise together through this special Caffeine and a Prayer link between now and the end of June 6. There are hundreds of non-profits involved, including at least three that I personally volunteer for, and I was starting to feel a bit torn — was I diluting efforts by not throwing my promotional efforts behind just one? The United Way graciously is allowing funds donated via this site to go to the 501(c)3 non-profit women’s volunteer organization of the Junior League of Northern Virginia (JLNV), of which I am a member and past president. This means the proceeds will be used toward their mission, and since JLNV members volunteer with Shelter House and the Children’s Science Center, two other organizations participating in the campaign, I felt like this was the best way for me to stretch contribution dollars — as it is a way to give “hands and dollar.” I love the JLNV because they train women to be skilled volunteers and leaders in our community, help other non-profits, and have more than 50 years of proven experience in Northern Virginia of pinpointing the needs of our citizens and then finding the resources and solutions to address those needs.
How can you participate in the campaign?
- Donate at this link: http://domore24.org/charities/caffeine-and-prayer/ (and even if you choose not to donate to mine, please donate to one of the DoMore24 sites!)
- Share the word:
- Tweet about the campaign, sharing my link http://bit.ly/DoMore24Caff or the general campaign link http://bit.ly/DoMore24 and using the hashtag #DoMore24. UWNCA’s handle is @The United Way of the Nation’s Capital Area’s Twitter Handle is @uwnca, mine is @caffandaprayer.
- Let us know what you think of the campaign on Facebook. Caffeine and a Prayer, United Way.
- Attend a DoMorefor24 event.
- Learn more about the DoMore24 campaign and our community’s needs with this video.