This 25% off promo code is good for weekday (including Friday) performances of select seats of the production How to Train Your Dragon Live Spectacular in all cities. See the end of the post for more details.
One of my favorite parts of being a parent is watching my children and waiting for that eye-widening moment of wonder and astonishment as they experience something for the first time. It’s that moment I can’t wait for when we attend the July 19 show of How to Train Your Dragon Live Spectacular at the Verizon Center in Washington, DC. I’m already giddy just looking at the photos and videos of the show, I can only imagine their reactions to the enormous, free-roaming animatronic dragons as well as watching Toothless take flight right before their very eyes.
How to Train Your Dragon Live Spectacular represents the combined effors of DreamWorks Animation, producers of the Academy Award®-nominated film, How to Train Your Dragon, and Global Creatures, the masterminds behind the international phenomenon Walking with Dinosaurs, the number one grossing world tour of 2010. Based on the book by Cressida Cowell, it focuses on a Viking teen (Hiccup) struggling with his tribe’s tradition of heroic dragon slaying, and the conflict that ensues when he encounters a dragon who challenges all he thought he knew about dragons.How To Train Your Dragon Live Spectacular immerses the audience in the story with bigger-than-life fire-breathing state-of-the-art animatronic dragons interacting with actors and trained acrobats in a full-arena live performance.
I can already see that there is going to be something for each of us in this show. JavaGirl will be entranced by the creatures. JavaBoy, of course, will enjoy the action-adventure portions. And JavaDad and I will geek out enjoying all the technology behind it — for example knowing that each of large dragon weighs about 2.6 tons (about the size of an average family car!) and covering the 23 dragons required more than 2 miles of “dragon skin.”
These dragons are massive — the official promotional video clip is gorgeous, but I think the NBC Today Show interview gives you a much better feel for the size of the dragons in comparison to people as well as how they will “behave” — it may be a good way to prepare your children for the show.
You can further enhance the experience with VIP packages that include a Hero’s Welcome from Hiccup and Astrid, backstage tours to meet the dragons and more. Note that the coupon code is not valid for the VIP packages.
How to Train Your Dragon Live Spectacular will be at the Verizon Center in Washington, DC July 19-22. Regular ticket prices range from a low of $29.50 to a high of $69.50 (excluding fees). A limited number of premium seats and special VIP ticket experiences and family packages are also available. See www.dreamworksdragonslive.com for details on tickets and times. Promo code information is below.
How to Save:
- There is currently a Living Social deal for 50% off that runs until the 11th, this information is for the DC area only.
- Purchase your tickets online and enter the promo code MOM in the “Mom blogs” promo box. If you are buying tickets for an area other than DC and do not see the “mom blogs” promo box, I have been told that you can enter the code in the general promo box. Please note that not all cities have put their tickets on sale yet. This promo code is good for a 25% off discount on select seats for WEEKDAY (including Friday) shows.
Get a Sneak Preview of a Baby Dragon
See a baby dragon and his Viking trainer at the Gaylord National Resort Saturday, July 7! Kids and their families are invited to a free live performance featuring a seven-foot-tall, 14-foot-long, smoke-breathing Baby Dragon and his brave trainer as they take kids on a magical and humorous journey to learn how to train a dragon. Kids will learn the three important lessons every young dragon trainer should know and will become an “Official Dragon Trainer” for the day. Kids will also receive a special coupon valid for discounted tickets to the DreamWorks’ How to Train Your Dragon Live Spectacular show at the Verizon Center.
- 6:00 – 6:15 pm – DreamWorks Character Parade featuring the Baby Dragon
The Dragon will join the other DreamWorks characters (Shrek, Kung Fun Panda, etc.) as they march thru Gaylord’s Atrium interacting with guests.
- 7:45 – 8:00 pm – Dragon Training Show
The Baby Dragon and his Viking Trainer will give a live, 15-minute performance that features many fun, interactive moments with the kids in the audience.
- 9:30 pm – Gaylord National’s Summer Fireworks Show
Afterwards, stick around to enjoy a summertime tradition at Gaylord National – fireworks every Saturday night over the Potomac River. The best view is along the waterfront!
Fun Facts about How to Train Your Dragon Live Spectacular:
THE MOST TECHNICALLY ADVANCED TOUR INTEGRATING ANIMATRONICS, PROJECTIONS, LIVE CAST AND NEW TECHNOLOGIES.
- Global Creatures & DreamWorks have partnered to bring the Academy-Award® nominated film to life with real flying, fire-breathing dragons.
- The production is four years in the making.
- The production has the largest number of animatronics ever to tour the globe.
- The Red Death Dragon is the largest animatronic ever built by Creature Technology Company at over 40 feet high and 60 feet wide.
HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON LIVE SPECTACULAR IS THE LARGEST FAMILY TOUR EVER PRODUCED!
- Travels in over 30 18-Wheeler Trucks (52’ each) with a touring cast & crew of 85.
- Together the show weighs over 200,000 pounds.
- It would take one person over a year to load in the production.
- Takes over 160 people to set up the production in each city (the equivalent of one person working 24 hours over 70 days).
- If all the cables in the production were laid out end to end, they would stretch from Los Angeles to New York City.
DRAGONS TAKE TO THE SKY WITH GROUND-BREAKING TECHNOLOGY!
- The production created the first-ever touring flight track system that weighs over 28 tons.
- The flight track uses a proprietary barcode system. The creatures scan a barcode strip as they fly around the track which tells them (and us) where they are at all times.
- Toothless weighs over 7,500 pounds and flies over 1.2 miles throughout the performance which is equivalent to a Range Rover soaring through the arena.
- There are more automation cues in the opening sequence alone than a Broadway musical has in a night.
- The first-ever fully immersive live experience with projection spanning more than 20,000 square feet throughout the entire arena. The back projection wall is equivalent to 9 movie screens combined.
THE DRAGON FACTS & FIGURES.
- Produced over a two-year period in Melbourne, Australia.
- 23 dragons.
- 12 different dragon species represented.
- Dragon wings span up to 46 feet.
- Each large dragon weighs over 2.6 tons (the size of a family car).
- Over 2 miles of “dragon skin” was created.
HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON LIVE SPECTACULAR FOLLOWS ON THE HEELS OF THE HUGE SUCCESS OF WALKING WITH DINOSAURS!
- Before “Walking With Dinosaurs,” no free-roaming animatronics of this scale existed.
- Creature Technology Company has become a world leader in animatronic technology.
- “Walking With Dinosaurs” was #1 in Worldwide Ticket Sales in 2010, ahead of Bon Jovi, AC/ DC and Black Eyed Peas with over 6.5 million tickets sold worldwide to date.
Disclosure: My family has been provided with complimentary tickets in order to review the performance. I am thrilled that the PR company has chosen to reach out to local bloggers to share a promo code so families may save money on special performances. Remember this code is for certain seats so purchase your tickets early, and put “MOM” in the “mom blogs” promo box.